You Have Questions? We Have Answers!

Review our frequently asked questions. If you need more help, call us at (800) 927-5159



CalRegional is short for California Regional Education Centers, an association of California public adult schools and community colleges committed to providing high-quality affordable career and technical education (CTE) programs. The website provides program, location and registration information for member schools.

Accreditation is formal recognition by a private organization that a school, college or university meets that organization’s instructional standards. Accreditation is a voluntary designation that schools, colleges and universities purchase in order to qualify for certain state and federal financial aid programs, such as PELL grants.

While most of our partner community colleges and adult schools are accredited through WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges), accreditation is NOT required by the State of California in order for a school, college or university to teach Phlebotomy, Medical Assistant or Pharmacy Technician programs

For more information on accreditation, read the blog post "Accreditation - What's it all about".


Enrollment Process

You can enroll over the phone by calling (800) 927-5159. Some schools like Sierra Community College take their own registrations. Call CalRegional to find out more. 

You must be:

  1. At least 18 years of age.
  2. Have a high school diploma, GED or equivalent.

Foreign Diplomas must be evaluated for U.S equivalency. For more information go to Academic Evaluation Services.  

No felony/certain misdemeanor convictions on record. 

Payment plans are offered through CalRegional. During the enrollment process, you will make a deposit to secure your place in a class. The remaining balance of the program fee can be spread over 5 to 8 months depending on the length of the program. A credit card or debit card is required to set up automatic reoccurring monthly payments. For more information, contact CalRegional. 



Classroom Requirements (Items sold separately)

You will have to purchase and wear navy blue scrubs (tops and bottoms) at all times. Scrubs can be purchased at Walmart, Target or a uniform store of your choice. Footwear should be clean, preferably white and close-toed. Clean, neat, white athletic shoes are also acceptable. 

For the Medical Assistant program, you will need a stethoscope and blood pressure cuff. They can be purchased together in a kit at




An Externship is a learning opportunity that allows students to practice skills that they have learned while in class in a professional environment. Externships are unpaid and are generally full-time, Monday – Friday. For more information on extersnhips, check out the blog post "Externship - What is it Exactly"

In order to be placed in extersnhip, you must:
  1. Successfully complete the classroom portion of the program
  2. Meet the financial obligations according to your enrollment and payment plan agreements
  3. Complete the required externhip prerequisites

You are required to provide the following documents to your instructor by the end of the 5th week of class. Priority placement is given to students who complete their externship prerequisites on time.

  1. Background Check and Drug Screening
  2. Immunizations including
    • Hepatitis B
    • Measles/Mumps, Rubella
    • Varicella
    • Tuberculosis (PPD-Skin/Chest x-ray, within the last 12 months)
    • Tetanus/Diphtheria
    • Influenza Vaccine (required during flu season)
  3. Current BLS (Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers) - Included in program fee
  4. Resume

The Externship Booklet is your guide to successfully complete externship. Bring your Externship Booklet with you to class and to externship. Click on a link below to download an Externship Booklet.
  • Medical Assistant 
  • Phlebotomy Technician
  • Pharmacy Technician


Certification exams are provided by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) for both the Medical Assistant and Phlebotomy Technician programs on or near the last day of class. Instructions for signing up for the exam are provided in Schoology and will be reviewed by the instructor in class.

Your tuition includes one certification exam attempt. To receive the exam at no charge, you must take the exam on the date assigned and use the billing code provided by your instructor. Students who miss the exam or who cannot take the exam on the date assigned will have to schedule and pay for the exam themselves.

Please note:
• If you use the wrong billing code or pay for the exam yourself, you will not be reimbursed.
• If you fail the exam the first time, you must pay for all subsequent attempts and fees.

Exam Day:
Please arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your exam time. You are only permitted to bring your car keys and ID into the exam room. The proctor will not delay the start of the exam to accommodate late candidates.

Test Results:
You should receive your test results in the mail approximately 2 weeks after you take the exam. CalRegional does not receive exam information. If you do not receive results or if you have any questions, contact NHA at (800) 499-9092.

To work as a Phlebotomist in California, you must pass at least one of several examinations administered by an LFS approved testing organization and submit your test scores, certificate and externship documentation (included in your training) to LFS for approval and licensure.

To receive your national license, you must:

  1. Pass the certification exam administered by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA).
  2. Once you have taken and passed the NHA Exam – you should receive your NHA Certificate in the next 2-3 weeks.

To receive your state license, you must:

  1. Wait for your NHA Certificate to arrive in the mail.
  2. Go to, register for an account, and complete the application. Select “CPT 1” when prompted. The non-refundable application fee is $100, and must be paid with a Visa or MasterCard. You are free to save, access, and update your application as needed.
  3. Print the attestation page generated at the end of the application. Maintain a copy for yourself.
  4. Mail the following documents to the CDPH LFS (Laboratory Field Services):
  • Copy of your Certificate 
  • Copy of your certificate from the NHA
  • Your Practical Training form (in the enclosed envelope sealed with the “Official Document” sticker). This is an original document – do not open and do not misplace!
  • Official high school transcripts (or college including 24 credits and 2.0+ GPA).
  • Two passport-size photos (2 in. x 2 in.)
  • The attestation page from the online application
The address for the CDPH LFS is:

California Department of Public Health
Laboratory Field Services
Attn: Phlebotomy Program
850 Marina Bay Parkway, Bldg. P, 1st Floor
Richmond, CA 94804-6403

Unlike Phlebotomists, a license is not required to work as a Medical Assistant in California. However, some employers may require that you pass an examination administered by a private Medical Assistant testing organization like the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) . 

Interested in becoming Nationally Certified?
  1. Pass the certification exam administered by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA). If you have not scheduled your exam, see the section above titled "National Exam".
  2. Once you have taken and passed the NHA Exam – you should receive your NHA Certificate in the next 2-3 weeks. 

To work as a Pharmacy Technician in California, you must submit an application and Affidavit document with the school seal and signature by the program director, pharmacist or registrar as an original to the California Board of Pharmacy. You will then be issued a Registration card. No examination is required.

How to apply to the California State Board of Pharmacy:
Go to

How to take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board Exam: 
Go to